A simple, vary basic yet a classic dish. It is very easy to make and it wouldn’t take much of your time. This means you can spend more time with your loved ones on this busy eid.
Preparation Time:30 min
Cooking time: 1 hr
For the Stock
Mutton 1 kg
Salt to taste
Garlic 8-12 cloves
Black cardamom 2
Cinnamon 2-3 sticks
Coriander seeds 1tbsp
Black peppercorn 1tsp
Star Anis 1
Bay leaf 1
Basmati Rice 1 kg
Onion(medium) 3 thinly sliced
Cumin seeds 1bsp
Red pepper 1 tsp
Ginger paste 1tsp
Stock 8 cups
Oil 1 cup
- Pour in 12 cups of water in a pan.
- Add mutton, onion, ginger, garlic, black cardamom, cinnamon, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, black peppercorn,star anis, cloves and salt.
- Let it cook until meat is tender and you have 8 cups of stock.
- Separate the meat and sieve the stock.
- Heat the oil in a pan and fry onion in it until golden brown.
- Add mutton and fry to get a good caramelized look.
- Add ginger paste, red pepper and cumin seeds and fry.
- Pour in mutton stock and let it come to a boil.
- Add rice and cook.
- When water is dried out, lower the heat.
- Remove the pan cover, put a cloth on the pan and then cover the pan with the lid.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Dish it out and serve with raita.